Thursday, January 14, 2016

First Half Help Desk

     I believe the first half of help desk was a success for me. I was able to successfully help students and faculty with a variety of technological problems. The beginning of the year was very busy at times with the new implementation and use of google classroom, catalog, notability, and google drive. Some problems were strictly administrative issues, but commonly it was a teacher or student who was not completely familiar with the app, and they needed a little bit of help. I feel that the majority of people who came to the help desk with an issue were able to get a solution that worked for them. Later in the year people had problems specific to their iPad, not a widespread issue as earlier in the year. With the less frequent help desk visits I then had time to help teachers learn and use the technology in their own classroom more efficiently. I helped teachers with Apple TV and helped a whole class download the air watch app on their personal iPads. All of those experiences led to a productive first semester of help desk.

     One thing I particularly like about help desk is the practicality. I get to learn about common problems people have with technology. When I see those problems I learn how to fix them and increase my knowledge of technology. For me it is important I know as much as possible about technology because I am pursuing a degree in computer science, or computer engineering. Another practical aspect of help desk is customer service. I have to interact, understand, and assist "customers" with their technology problems. Both of these skills are very practical and they are not skills taught in a traditional classroom setting.
   
    Currently help desk is run efficiently. Whenever someone comes to the help desk their problem can get resolved, the problem is there are very few people who stop by. Most people stopped going to help desk after the major iPad issues had been sorted out. Now I think people are not aware of what help desk does. I have had students and teachers ask me where help desk is, and what we do. I think help desk can be a very valuable resource, but students and teachers are not fully aware of what help desk is. For next semester I would try to focus on making sure everyone in the school knows help desk is always open, and they can always get help with their tech issues. To raise awareness a slide or two could be put into the generic tv slide show around the school, and fliers placed in high traffic areas of the school. If more people are aware of help desk I think the whole school would benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment